Last year in April I had submitted my entry for Rupee symbol to the “Rupee symbol design contest” (which was there in sl.no. 76 in the first list of eligible entries ) . After a wait of more than a year the 5 designs are now shortlisted from the 2,500 entries that have been received from across the country.
4 out of 5 selected entries were from Mumbai and the fifth one is from Kerala.
However there were some interesting articles/press/posts/media stories I found :
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/2905/18sec.jpg : This one states that each design was given approx 18 second to be evaluated!
http://yfrog.com/f/6h19marhindustanj/ This one states that there was spome kind of scam as the winners sent multiple entries where as it was restricted to only 2. also the jury never saw the background details and theme of the logo which was the part of the contest guideline!(even here http://www.equitipz.com/2009/08/rupee-to-get-identification-symbol.html the commentary says that only the symbol design was presented to the jury!)
http://yfrog.com/f/3u22032010016j/ also states the similar story!
<– “RTI Against Symbol for Indian Rupee Design Competition Scam”
Below are the Shortlisted designs by finance ministry
Now there is a new site called Save Indian Rupee Symbol at http://www.saveindianrupeesymbol.org/
which focuses on the possible scam in the design selection. As per this site:
- No records are available with Finance Ministry which could indicated, how many total design entries Finance Ministry had received ?
- Non-eligible candidate was shortlisted in top five finalists.
- One finalist was in contact with Finance Ministry and RBI prior to competition.
- Design concept or brief was not put in front of jury along with Indian Rupee symbol design.
- No marks or grades were allotted to selected (2644) candidates design entries, in the process of shortlisting top five finalist design entries.
- Jury had spends less than 20 seconds on each design entries to analyze it.
- One jury member from Ministry of Culture was absent on the day of final presentation.
- Three jury member were absent in two days long meeting dated 29th Sept. and 30th Sept. 2009
- All seven jury member had never meet in this whole selection process.